Remedial Digital Design and Verilog Lectures
Links to Prof. Puvvada's review and Verilog lectures
The main software tool we will use for labs and homeworks in this class is Mentor Graphics Modelsim, an HDL simulator.
You may choose one of these options
- If you have Modelsim (SE/DE) installed on your PC and is working fine already, you do not have to install the Modelsim SE again. It does not matter for our course what modelsim tool version you are running.
- You may download and install Modelsim on your own PC. ** EXTREMELY IMPORTANT **: To download Modelsim you will need a specific username and password (NOT your USC ID/password). Please log-in to the EE 457 DEN course and go to the Lab Setup module to find the installation instruction and credentials.
- We are working on allowing EE 457 students to run Modelsim (now named Questasim) from USC's Virtual Desktop Interface (VDI). Please ask the instructor about this option if your PC cannot support Modelsim or you believe it is a preferable solution that using it on your own PC. Instructions for setting up the VDI may be found here (scroll down to the
Usage Guidelinessection. Not you should choose the
General Desktopoption and then under the start menu find
- You can go to the SAL125 user-room and login on one of the Macs. Then open the Virtual Machines folder in Programs menu and clicking on the shortcut in the Programs menu labeled
XP32-201108-PUVVADA. A window opens with a Windows-XP Desktop. You can invoke Modelsim from there.
Pre-2016 Modelsim options
- Use the Modelsim on the university UNIX system by logging into one of the scf servers aludra or nunki. It is quick and easy and you can use your Mac or PC from your home. The procedure is narrated at this link
- To test the UNIX installation you can run the instructions in the handout. You will need the following two files:
Install 5 other tools
Also install 5 other minor tools described in these instructions